Tuesday 6 November 2012

Waiting for the trip

So yesterday I was up, bright eyed and bushy tailed at 4am to start another exciting shift behind the wheel. If there is anyone out there who really believes I was either bright eyed or bushy tailed, please let me know - I have a bridge to sell you.

I used to believe that being out there bright and early was the way to do it. The busses don't run and people still need to get to the airport, get to work or get home from the night before. Yesterday drove the last nail into the coffin of that belief. I did all the right things, went to the busiest zone for that time of the morning and I sat there, for an hour, number one in the zone. I watched as every other zone emptied around me. It was like I was the zone killer, where I went, no taxi was called. Over the period of that first hour of sitting (first of 4 over the entire day) I twiddled my thumb, reminded myself that it happens sometimes, prayed to the Gods of Dispatch and contemplated sacrificing my first born - all to no avail. Finally, after 60 minutes of going nuts, a call was being held 4 zones away. In desperation, I asked for it and was given it. 30 minutes later I had made 1/6 of my lease. Not a great way to start the day, but certainly better than what I was doing prior to that.



At 1300 yesterday afternoon I looked at what little $$ was in my wallet, felt just how dejected and angry I was at the world and decided that enough was enough. I called up dispatched and told her I was done. I parked the car, went home and went to sleep for a couple of hours. After I woke, I had a good look at what wasn't in my wallet and figured that I had worked 9 hours for $50 - not even minimum wage. Ah well, it was $50 I didn't have when I woke up that morning so the day wasn't a total loss.

Over the past 2 weeks I have done 2 half night shifts, both of which cleared me $80. Hmmmm, $80 for 6 hours or $50 for 9. I am thinking that doing the half shifts are in order, at least until the paper gets pushed for my next position as a computer tech.

No comments:

Post a Comment